12 December 2010

Speak in Foreign Languages...Poyo?


Assalamualaikum and I’m hopeful that my fellows such in a good condition. Firstly, I beg from you; please to not feel weird while you are reading this post. As you know and as you can see, it’s written in English.


Actually, I feel very stupid and full of shame because my written is very bad, and its sound fools and it being read by public. That’s mean I expose my mistakes to others. Oh my god. Never mind of those mistakes, I think I should ask myself; why I should I write this in English? Are we does not have our own language? Or are we feel geeky when we bring out our ideas and thought with our language?


But definitely, they are. Not all of us, but certain people feel it that way.



Eventually, I know joining a ‘compulsory-quite boring-program’ that held by university. This program called LSP, stand for Language Support Program. It held by university to improve their student in two languages, Arabic and English.


The activities, for your information, not just a formal learning but more to revise and implement what we have learned from lectures during last semester. Did you hear ‘Dikir Arab’ before? ‘Boria Arab’? ‘Arabic Coral Speaking’? Seriously, this is the first time in my life I see such those thing. Isn’t it creative? Of course they are. It’s quite challenging.


That is not the point that I want to arise here. It is all about, are we ready to be open in such program. This program actually just not to improve our skills in speaking, writing, babbling, and listening; but the most important is to develop our soft skill.


Of course, presents a ‘Dikir Arab’, ‘Boria Arab’, and so on in a hall required brave and being open in each members of group. There is no doubt, I too, felt embarrassing and stupid while I stood up at the stage, and been stared of all people in the hall and all eyes looking at me, singing and dancing. It’s totally embarrassing. But till when we should have to feel shame.


Took that feels out from you.


I know, standing at the stage and give a speech or present something to the hundreds of audience is hard for someone. I admit it. But, there is one small thing that we should not also feel shame. What I mean is, practicing foreign language. I really do not have any idea why people do not want to speak in English and Arabic in purpose of academic. Why not we practicing it outside of lectures?


Practice makes perfect right? Some of my friends, when I try to speak with him in those languages, they said “okay, cukup…ko ni poyo lah. Geli aku dengar” or “aku tak terer macam ko, jadi ko tak payah lah nak menunjuk kat aku”. What is in their mind? The benefit of capable to master foreign languages is back to us. It will become an advantage if we want to be hired in a field of carrier.


Actually, there are a lot of benefits when we are master foreign languages.


However and it tore up my heart,


There are among us who did feel they are master enough of those languages, feel embarrassing when they speak Bahasa Melayu, our national language. My massage to them is, we have our own language, we have our own tradition, and we have our own culture. Those things are our symbol of recognisation, our skin that we use it in every single of our body, we live with it stick since we born.


And suddenly, we take that both languages as our main frame. I do not know why people do this. Maybe they feel not modern and not sophisticate while write and speak on Bahasa Melayu.


Look around you.


I do not blame anyone or any party; I just want to share a picture that I and you see every day. Look at the road signboard, look at official and big events, and look at the press conference. Which language that had been used? Almost of it, English. Right? Humph.


We already know that Bahasa Melayu as a National Language, as provision said in Federal Constitution. But, our leader or similar person with them speaks at official event in English and that event was held in Malaysia. How come? They are our example. They shall show us how to respect our constitution, culture and inheritance.


Reminder; please do not deadly mention that I’m poyo because of this post written in English, it just an academic purpose only, okay. And another one, please state and keep at your mind that I’m not a racist. If you find in this post mistakes in grammar or in inappropriate vocabulary using, just drop your correction at comment column below, okay.


I’m waiting for it. And I think this is the first and the last I write an entry in English in this blog, Musafir Bulat. There is probability that I will manage another blog with fully written in English or Arabic, Insha'Allah. Maybe next semester, kot…


Sudi-sudilah 'Like' post ni..